- The Story of Features Coming in Python 3.8 and Beyond
- EuroPython 2019
- 📺 Video 🗂️ Slides
The summary of my talk:
What's coming in Python 3.8? You can learn it by yourself by reading an excellent document What's New in Python 3.8. I'm not going to retell this document. Instead, I'll focus on things barely described there or not mentioned at all:
- Why will the new features appear in Python 3.8 and what's the story behind them?
- What is being discussed and developed now, but won't appear in Python 3.8?
I'll share the news I learned at PyCon 2019 from the talks and discussions with Python core developers. I'll mention the following topics:
- New syntax:
x := expr,
f(..., /, ...),
- New types:
- Future features of typing and async/await
- New approaches to optimizing Python: sub-interpreters, mypyc